Start your brilliant career with a degree from Australia's #1 ranked university.


Find contact details for any general enquiries.

Engage with us

Find contact details for any general enquiries.

Study with us

Our graduates gain the knowledge and skills to lead organisations, develop public policy, create new companies and undertake research.

Our research

Our research is focused on issues that are highly significant for organisations, the Australian economy, and society at large.

Current Students

Whether you're a new or continuing student, you can find everything you need here about managing your program and the opportunities available to you.


Our alumni may be found in the world’s leading companies, policy agencies and universities.

Contact us

Find contact details for any general enquiries.

Cross institutional study

As a CBE student you can request permission to study courses at another Australian institution and have credit awarded towards your current ANU program.

For information regarding studying short courses at an overseas institution please refer to the Overseas Short Courses page.

Please note: credit that appears on your record will not include the grade you achieve at the other university.

Step 1: Check your eligibility

1. You must have completed 48 units at ANU before applying. 
2. If you are an undergraduate student, you can enrol in no more than 24 units of cross institutional study (regardless of whether you are enrolled in a single degree, or combined/flexible double degree). 
3. If you are a postgraduate student, you can enrol in no more than 12 units of cross institutional study. 
4. You must have compelling reasons to study at another institution.  A compelling reason may include: 

    • Caring for a close relative away from Canberra
    • Your employer is temporarily posting you away from Canberra
    • You are an elite athlete with particular requirements

Please note that having failed a course at ANU previously is not considered to be a compelling reason. 

5. You must not be on Academic Probation or Show Cause.
6. You must ensure that you meet any pre-requisite requirements of the external course(s).
7. You must be aware of the submission deadlines required by the other istitution, and submit your application to CBE Student Services for assessment with enough time for our standard processing times to meet them. Please include the other institution's deadline in your application.  CBE's standard processing time is two weeks. 
8. Cross Institutional Study applications must be submitted and approved prior to undertaking the study.

Step 2: Apply

Submit the following documents via email to CBE Student Services on info.cbe@anu.edu.au to apply.

  1. Cross-institutional study form (PDF, 378KB)
  2. Detailed course outlines from the other institution. This must contain:
    • Detailed course description
    • Detailed list of topics covered
    • Prescribed textbook and other required reading
    • Prerequisites including the outlines or descriptions of those prerequisite courses.
    • Contact hours
  3. A personal statement outlining the reasons for cross institutional study (evidence of these reasons may be requested after application if deemed necessary).

Step 3: Await notification

Your application will likely take two weeks or more to be assessed, you will be notified of the outcome. It is your responsibility to be aware of any enrolment deadlines at the host institution and to allow ample time for ANU approval.

Step 4: Enrol at host institution

If your cross-institutional study application is approved, you will be responsible to enrol yourself at your host institution.

Step 5: Claim credit

After completing your cross institutional study, you must submit the following documents to CBE Student Services to claim credit:

  1. Official transcript from the host institution
  2. The CBE approval letter from CBE Student Services from Step 3
  3. Credit application form (PDF, 590KB)

Please note if you intend to complete your program and graduate after completing the cross institutional course (s), you must provide the official transcript to the College before the ANU results release date (found on the University calendar). If you cannot provide the transcript before this date, you may not be able to attend the graduation ceremony that semester. Universities cannot publish students’ results individually and will only release official results for the entire course.

Updated:   31 October 2018 / Responsible Officer:  CBE Communications and Outreach / Page Contact:  College Web Team